The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality issued 12 penalties totaling $1,450,582 in January for various environmental violations. A detailed list of violations and resulting penalties is at https://ordeq.org/enforcement.
Fines ranged from $1,100 to $1,291,551. This includes the $1.3 million penalty to the Port of Morrow, which DEQ announced on Jan. 11. Alleged violations included a paper mill creating pollution in the Willamette River, a fueling facility failing to report an oil spill, and a glass recycling facility failing to monitor its industrial stormwater.
DEQ issued civil penalties to the following organizations:
• Cascadia Ridge LLC, $54,786, Estacada, stormwater
• Covanta Marion, Inc., $15,722, Brooks, air quality
• Everett Custom Homes Inc., $4,350, Portland, stormwater
• Fossil Fill-Up, LLC, $11,400, Fossil, spill response
• Global Pacific Environmental, Inc., $16,800, Medford, asbestos
• Hydro Extrusion Portland, Inc., $16,356 , Portland, wastewater
• Owens-Brockway Glass Container, Inc., $15,701, Portland, stormwater
• Port of Morrow, $1,291,551, Boardman, water quality
• Red Hills Construction Inc., $4,146, Happy Valley, stormwater
• Southern Oregon Rock LLC, $1,100, Portable, air quality
• Tillamook Country Smoker, $9,070, Bay City, wastewater
• Willamette Falls Paper Company, $9,600, West Linn, wastewater
Organizations or individuals must either pay the fines or file an appeal within 20 days of receiving notice of the penalty. They may be able to offset a portion of a penalty by funding a supplemental environmental project that improves Oregon’s environment. Learn more about these projects at https://ordeq.org/sep.
Penalties may also include orders requiring specific tasks to prevent ongoing violations or additional environmental harm.
DEQ works with thousands of organizations and individuals to help them comply with laws that protect Oregon’s air, land and water. DEQ uses education, technical assistance, warnings and penalties to change behavior and deter future violations.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login