In HireAHelper’s 3rd annual retiree migration study, we found that Oregon was the state that saw the most retirees moving out. This is the first time we’ve seen Oregon so high on the list of states most moved out of.
Analyzing Census Bureau data, we uncovered other key findings about the current state of retirement migration in the states:
- Over 234,000 Americans moved to retire in 2022, 4% more than in 2021
- 12% of American retirees moved for “cheaper housing” — highest % since 2014
- Florida is top destination for retirement moves (~12% of all retirees)
- Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL (9%) top metro destination for retirement moves
- Oregon the state retirees most likely to leave — origin state of 10% of retiree moves
- Retirees of color more than 2x likely to move in search of cheaper housing (20%) than their white counterparts (9%)